5/6/09

Had the opportunity...

to see "The Original Comets" yesterday at the Andy Williams Theatre in Branson.

Before his death in 1981 Bill Haley (Rock around the Clock) included many musicians among his "Comets" but the three who appear in Branson were the members of the version that recorded such hits as "Crazy Man Crazy" and, of course, "Rock around the Clock" in the early 50's. Now in their 70's and 80's the three surviving members do six shows a week and still bring the house down.

Virtually all the shows in Branson are well done (Please avoid, though, the "Hank and Patsy" show at the Owen Theatre it's so bad its surreal) but it was just great to see some rock legends playing their hearts out even in their Social Security years. The drummer, Dick Richards, is 85 and played a ten minute drum solo and was in top rockabilly form for the whole show. It gives a little bit of hope to this nearly 50 bassist.

And yes, I did get the autographs and beyond that I now have an 8 x 10 picture of myself with Marshall Lytle, the original bassist of "Bill Haley and the Comets". What a treat to have my picture taken with the very first rock and roll bassist of all time still going strong at 75! When I get the USB cord for my camera I'll post the shots.

1 comment:

Steve Robinson said...

That gets cooler the more you are over 50. As a wise old man once told me, there's a big difference between 20 years of experience and one year of experience 20 times. These guys have the former and it shows.