12/30/08

Text message ripoff...

My nieces and nephew text like there is no tomorrow, they of the flying thumbs and the ability to communicate through abbreviations. I, being the dinosaur in these matters, have probably sent a total of five text messages in my life. I've slways figured that phones were for people to talk to each other (I know, I'm old school and basically fossilized on these things).

Well it appears that text messages, those little quasi-sentences like "r u ok?" cost the various service providers next to nothing but that doesn't keep them from charging you a tidy sum to thumb them along. Basically the whole thing is a fad created by the phone companies to make bundles of money. My generation had the "pet rock" and these crazy kids nowadays have text messaging. Some things never change.

No comments: