3/29/07

Orthodox ringtones...

From time to time I check the cluster map indicating where visitors to this blog come from in a sort of general way and usually on the top of the world map with little red dots are advertisements. I presume they help pay the way for Cluster Maps to provide free service.

As an aside you need to know that I don't track any of this in anything more than a generic way. I don't have, or want to have, the IP addresses of visitors and don't collect any private data other than a general area where the "hit" comes from. So, for example I know there have been visitors to this blog from the south of India but specifically who or where is unknown and I'd like to keep it that way.

That being said one of the recent advertisements was for "Orthodox ringtones" for cell phones. I haven't clicked on it yet but there is a certain amount of curiousity about it all. First I'd like to know what they mean by "Orthodox" and second if they really are Eastern Orthodox ringtones I'd like to see the menu.

I personally would like to have the Cherubic Hymn as a ringtone because it remains for me one of the greatest treasures of Byzantine music. For the sake of my soul, though, I probably need the Prayer of St. Ephraim "O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despondency, lust for power and idle talk..." That would be a helpful thing to hear several times a day but I might find myself doing prostrations in the oddest places.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Father, bless,

I've seen that same advert and wondered the same thing. I've not clicked on it, though.