10/13/06

Shadows fall...

For most of my life, as I can remember, dysthymia has been my companion, a shadow falling.

Many who know me would be surprised to hear that, those who know me well are not. Over the years I have become skilled in living with shadows, a skill developed in years of experience matching depression move for move, thrust, parry, retreat, and attack. I can smile when I need to, engage when I must, and you'd never know. Only those who see me in an unguarded time are aware of it. Until now.

There are many different kinds of depression and many causes and thankfully most will never have more than an occasional bout of the blues once in a while. Dysthymia is a chronic low grade depression that presents itself in my life in somewhat predictable fashion (usually at the end of summer, around Nativity, and sometimes in early spring) and sometimes just appears. Years of practice have allowed me to know when I am sliding in to what I call a "trough" and the feelings of loss, frustration, and hopelessness of one kind or another begin to emerge. It's hard to sleep but the hardest thing is the feeling of being abandoned by God, the cruelest trick of all because it strikes at my very heart.

This is such a time.

But I'm not asking for pity. I have no idea why, outside of the medical facts, this is happening to me but I've long ago stopped asking the questions as anything other than a symptom. I rarely ever speak of it because I don't want people to see me as my condition, don't want to have to constantly explain things, don't need to have people define me as that "depressed" guy. I refuse to allow this thing, this illness, this struggle, to become me.

And that's why I'm breaking the silence.

I was cautioned by the well meaning to avoid talking about this. What would people think of a Priest who is damaged, somehow less than perfect? How would they handle my secret? What would they do when they discovered there are moments when I am weak? How would they cope with knowing there's a soft spot under my black shirted armor?

But something else matters more.

In the Church right now are many more like me, people who have lived with this quiet pain, these shadows falling, for decades. They have endured. They have cried alone in bed late at night. They have encountered countless well wishers who don't understand. They have moments of profound aloneness, days when they feel God has abandoned them and salvation is lost. They've been shamed into silence by the nature of thier struggle and wonder what it must be like to be a normal person.

In this moment when I feel the night settling in and know the fight is on all I wish to say is "Do not be afraid..." Your mind will tell you that God has left but it is not so. The dark will seem like forever but the weeping of the night does pass. A part of you will wish for death but you must not succumb. Fight for this day, for this minute if you have to. A little while is all you need, one moment to get some help, to take those damned pills, to run for whatever light you see even if the devil himself is trying to pull you down. Go to Liturgy even if every part of you wants to stay at home in bed. Let His precious Body and Blood work it's silent graces. Weep if you must, but never surrender to the fictions in your mind. When morning comes, and morning is more precious to us, rejoice and let God's sun warm your face and dry your tears.

And know that you are not alone.


1 comment:

The Traveler said...

Don't worry about the word "insane" Luz. I get what you mean.

I hope that by "coming out" I can stand against the shame and stigma that sometimes comes to people dealing with these issues within the walls of the Church. How many dear Christians have thought themselves unworthy, posssessed, or spiritual failures because they had a chronic condition involving thier brain chemistry?

Sadly we'll probably live with the stereotypes until the end of time. But I'm not "handicapped" or "dysfunctional" or a "danger to society" I just have moments when the brokenness of the world is expressed in the way my brain works.

We'll see how things play out, how this "coming out" will affect my life and my ministry. Those who know me will understand and I can't control what the rest of the world thinks.

Regardless it is the recent death of my brother Paul (the effects of which are certainly part of the "trough" I am experiencing) which has given me the boost I needed to write what I did. Life is short and if I can make it better for some by standing up and out then what I deal with can be a blessing. That's a kind of healing in and of itself.