9/6/06

4 x 2 = 8

For the past few weeks I've been enjoying a new arrival in my house, an Epiphone Mm20 mandolin.

It's not the fanciest one around, I've seen them on sale for over 20 k but it's good to start and each time I play it I'm reminded of why I purchased it in the first place. Even in the worst practices there are these moments of sweet sound that break through and nothing is as sweet as a mandolin properly caressed.

I've also been scanning all kinds of mandolin websites and even found a site www.live365.com where you can hear all kinds of music on a fast connection and a web station that plays only mandolin so I can hear what's possible and aim high.

Interesting, though, what the mandolin sites have to say about how to develop as a player. Practice every day. Strive to master the basics and then your other skills will come along. Don't forget that the relationship between a player and the mandolin is long term.

Sounds a lot like what Christian discipleship should be.

Amazing that I can grasp that with something made out of wood and wire but forget it so easily when it comes to faith.

No comments: